Saturday 14 January 2017

Living the legacy - Abhay Rustum Sopori

The story of every Kashmiri Hindu post their displacement from valley is a story of survival and resilience. Every story is unique in its own way. However, there is a common thread too. The common thread is, 'pain and hope'. I have found pain and hope in all conversations I have had with young achievers from the Kashmiri Hindu community. But pain can have positive manifestations too, and that is when it builds a stronger connect with hope. It can become a universal thread of empathy and compassion. Abhay Rustum Sopori's music reflects a lot of that. 

Talking to music maestro Abhay Rustum Sopori was an enriching and learning experience. It turned out to be a double bonanza as he talked not just about himself, but his illustrious family too. Not just an accomplished musician, he is an intelligent thinker as well. He has been the youngest recipient of all the awards that he has received including the prestigious Sangeet Natak Akademi’s first ‘Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Puraskar’, 2006 and ‘J&K State Award’ (the highest Civilian Award of the State of Jammu & Kashmir, 2011) in recognition of his outstanding contribution and achievements in the field of music. He has been bestowed with numerous other awards in India and abroad like Bharat Shiromani Award, Pride of India Award, Best Citizens of India Award, etc.

RRB – Abhay, we have met in your concert in Mumbai and I have seen you perform too. I have also read about you. But I want to know in detail about the musical legacy of Sopori’s which spans generations. Your grandfather Pt. Shamboo Nath Sopori is hailed as ‘Father of Music’ in J&K and your father Padma Shri Pt. Bhajan Sopori is a living legend …
Abhay –Alright, let me start by telling you that the roots of our Gharana span over ten generations. I am the ninth generation and my very talented little nephews are the tenth.



RRB – Incredible! Please tell me more about the style and unique aspects of your Gharana
Abhay –Gharana is basically a musical ideology or style which originates from a place and is nurtured, improved and carried forward through generations. It involves the presentation style and how you think and interpret the music. For instance, Tayyari is very prevalent in our Gharana, like it is prevalent in Patiala Gharana. But it is not as prevalent in Gwalior Gharana. Some other element of music is prominently prevalent there. A connoisseur of music can easily make out a Gharana because of its distinctive features and style. Sopori Gharana has also evolved with such distinct features that it stands out quite clearly.
The story of our Gharana is multi-faceted and over 300 years old. We have pioneered various styles and presentations. We have improvised and also invented the instruments and rhythms. Our music is deep and layered. On the face of it, it appears Sufiana but it you go deeper it has elements of Shaivism. It is spiritual and mystic. In fact, my great grandfather, the great music legend Pandit Samsar Chand Sopori, was known for healing aspects of his music. Hakeems and Vaids, as part of their prescription, used to suggest a particular piece of his music to patients for healing.
Our Gharana has been known as Sopori Gharana but I kind of rechristened our Gharana as Sopori-Sufiana Gharana. Sopori because we belonged to Sopore, also called the Chota London.

RRB – This is very interesting. But ironically, a place like Sopore famed for its apples and home to grand Sopori Gharana is now a hot bed of separatism and violence. How do you feel about that?
Abhay – I feel deeply pained. Arts has always suffered - be it any form of turmoil, in any part of world. Art and artists are the first ones to bear the brunt of any conflict.

RRB – Yes, that is true. Do you remember any of the happenings in 1990 when Kashmiri Hindus were forced to flee the land of their origin and ancestors?
Abhay – I do remember. It was very agonizing that our Sangeet Mahavidyalaya in Kashmir was burnt down in a bomb blast by terrorists. It was a grand institution and the first formal music institute of J&K State, which my Grandfather had established after shifting from Sopore to Srinagar in 1947. Around 35,000 students from all corners of India including South received training in Music and Dance from there. This great institution of music was right opposite the famous Tagore hall in Wazir Bagh, Srinagar. Our treasured instruments, some of them had passed on from generations, were burnt down to ashes. It was not just a loss to Sopori family, it was an irreparable loss to the legacy of Sufiana music in Kashmir. It was a direct assault to the composite culture and ethos of Kashmir. We suffered a similar fate during the 1947 raid of Pakistani tribals in Kashmir.

RRB – How old were you in 1990? Were you and your family also made to forcibly flee from the valley under those hostile circumstances?
Abhay – I studied in Tyndale Biscoe School till fifth standard. When the situation started worsening due to frequent bomb blasts, firings etc., my mother moved me to Burn Hall School in 1989 as it was situated in a relatively safer area. My parents had already moved my elder brother Sohrab to Jammu owing to some death threats. The night of 19 January was the last nail in the coffin. We also moved out of Kashmir on 24th Jan like scores of other Kashmiri Hindus.

Abhay as a toddler with father Pt. Bhajan Sopori 1980

RRB - How difficult was it for you to cope up with life after displacement
Abhay – It was very difficult. I got admission in Modern School on Himayun Road in Delhi. Everything around me had changed. People, Culture, Language, Surroundings etc. – everything! But, in hindsight, I think; those difficult days, those horrifying situations, those challenging times, defined my personality. Everything I had to do, was outside my comfort zone. Every moment was challenging. I think that made me a very strong person. And, having seen and suffered so much pain, I empathize with everyone’s pain.

RRB – You are echoing my own sentiments and past. Am sure, every Kashmir Hindu child must have felt the same. But you just said something very important– that you still have lot of empathy. I think we all have empathy. We don’t carry hatred in our hearts. We still wish for the best of everyone, wherever we are and wherever we go!
Abhay – That is true! This is how our DNA is. We are peace loving. Especially for me, when I think of music, I have to think beyond religion because music transcends religion, region, race or for that matter any kind of man made differentiations.

RRB – Yes, I am aware of that. You are leaving no stone unturned to revive the folk music and art forms in Kashmir. That is how SaMaPa Aalap and Haft Rang happened and your path breaking concert with Zubin Mehta, right?
Abhay – We organized a very diverse yet inclusive series of concerts in February and March this year across Jammu and Kashmir. The festival is called SaMaPa Aalap Festival, an annual classical, folk and Sufi music festival started in the year 2005. We had musicians from almost all the districts of Jammu and Kashmir expect for Pulwama, Kulgam and Shopian. We did over 125 concerts over 3 weeks. Around 450 musicians from across the length and breadth of Jammu and Kashmir performed of which over 150 were new talent. The atmosphere was emotionally charged up and over 50,000 people witnessed the concerts. The musicians felt respected and cared for. Arts has ability to transform people. We have to work more in that direction to bring about positivity in the trouble torn state.
And yes, performing with the legendary maestro Zubin Mehta was indeed a privilege and honour. It was a matter of pride for J&K state too. It made Kashmiri folk international. The event was telecast live in 100 countries.

Kashmir - Abhay conducting with Mr. Zubin Mehta - with Bavarian State Orchestra and Sopori's Soz-o-Saaz ensemble

RRB –You seem to be taking a keen interest in the development of Arts and Culture in the J&K State. You recently got nominated to Central committee of JKAACL
Abhay – I feel I am blessed to be born in this family and having the privilege to learn music from such great Guru’s. I feel it is my duty to give back to music and to the musicians. What better a start than one’s own birth place especially when art and artists have suffered so much there. There is a rich folk tradition and immense talent in Jammu and Kashmir. But the music scene is marred with disruptions of various kinds. In order to perform in orchestras, you need to know how to write the music. I have taught musicians in Kashmir how to write music. I started with that and got them to a point where I could get them to perform with German performers on a stage with Zubin Mehta.
Government has also been supportive because they don’t see any self interest in my efforts. They understand that I am quite settled outside State and if I have any plans or suggestions for improvement of music scene there, they are purely out of genuine concern.

RRB – Tell me more about your family. Is training in music a must?
Abhay – It happens automatically. The sound of instruments, which could be noise for other kids, is music to even new born babies in our family. Soumil and Soham, my little nephews, are learning Piano right now. They are able to pick up the nuances which a normal kid of their age won’t be able to.
Education is very important in our family. Learning music is not an option. But taking it up as a profession is not a compulsion though. My father has triple Masters to his credit including one in English Literature and another in Western Classical music. Both of his brothers are doing very well in their professional careers in USA but are equally good in music which they pursue as their passion. Dr. Mohan Sopori, an immunologist by profession is a Sitar Maestro. Dr. Bhushan Sopori, a Solar Scientist runs a music school in Denver. Both of them have performed with me and my father in concerts abroad. All of my cousins are good at one or the other instrument.
My elder brother Sohrab is into advertising profession but he is an accomplished musician too. We have done lot of collaborations under ‘Rustum & Sohrab’ Productions.

Abhay with elder brother SOHRAB in Srinagar in 1985

RRB – What about you?
Abhay - I have studied Management and Computers. I was good in studies and also played hockey at national level. I once got badly hurt during a hockey match. When I recovered, my father insisted, “If you want to quit hockey, quit only after playing one tournament.” And, when I quit I didn’t quit because of the risk of injuries but because Santoor and Hockey didn’t go well together.

RRB – I have seen you and your father perform together. It was magical! It must be great to live, learn and perform with a legend like him.
Abhay – My father is an institution. He ushered in renaissance of music in Kashmir. Repetition of melody was typical of Kashmiri folk till early 70’s. My father changed that entirely. He recomposed folk forms like Chakkri, etc. and introduced choirs, orchestras, etc. He has composed around 5000 songs of which over 3500 are Kashmiri songs.

Abhay with father Pt. Bhajan Sopori and mother Prof. Aparna Sopori

RRB – Huge contribution, I must say!
Abhay – Not only that. Most of the legendary singers from Kashmir like Shameem Azad, Kailash Mehra, Vijay Malla, Munir Ahmed Mir and many others have trained under my grandfather and father. Papa also composed for them giving them a particular style of singing. He has done lot of research around the intricacies of sound. He is an authority in certain subjects and has taught in universities abroad. He recently performed in European Parliament highlighting Kashmiri music and culture.

RRB –Why have you not tried films yet? We Kashmiris' have a natural fascination for Cinema...
Abhay – I have composed music along with my father for one Kashmiri Film Bub. I have scored music for numerous serials and documentaries. But not taking a complete plunge into films was a trade-off. I would not have been able to do the work that I wanted to do for my State including works like Haft Rang, SaMaPa and other things towards the betterment of music and artists. But, I think I am ready to take full plunge now. There are a few projects I am currently evaluating.

Abhay, it was wonderful talking to you. I wish you all the best in all your endeavors.

Rakesh Roshan Bhat (RRB)


PS: Abhay on Social Media

Facebook

YouTube
1.       Abhay Rustum Sopori - Santoor – SaMaPa Delhi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjkSty3OwRI
2.       Abhay Rustum Sopori – Santoor – Italy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLa89A447bs
3.       Abhay Rustum Sopori & Legendary Maestro Mr. Zubin Mehta – Folk Music Ensemble - Bavarian State Orchestra & Kashmiri Folk Ensemble - Composed by: Abhay Rustum Sopori & conducted by Mr. Zubin Mehta & Abhay Sopori: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9UlpbHdIyg
4.       Abhay Rustum Sopori – Santoor – Spain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCSagiaegmQ
5.       Abhay Rustum Sopori – Classical Fusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7F4NsZOu18
6.       Abhay Rustum Sopori – Kashmiri  Sufiana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ9gbp8fF_Y
7.       Abhay Rustum Sopori – BBC India (Hindi) interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6kjOYVbZ0
8.       Abhay Rustum Sopori – Shakhsiyat Interview – Rajya Sabha TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIwFjZ_g96k





3 comments:

  1. It is a honour and preveliage to have such a great Gharana from our state and doing such great work towards music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely. It indeed, is a matter of great honour

      Delete
  2. It is a honour and preveliage to have such a great Gharana from our state and doing such great work towards music.

    ReplyDelete