Saturday 17 September 2016

The girl who has a mystical voice and adorns an Athor with aplomb – Aabha Hanjura

So, here comes the first story from ‘The resilient Tribe’. The girl who has a mystical voice and adorns an Athor with aplomb – Aabha Hanjura

RRB - Aabha, what a proud moment to sing National Anthem at Pro Kabaddi League 4! It was a moment of pride for whole Kashmiri Hindu community. What was the experience like?

Aabha - It was unbelievable, I had Goosebumps by the end of it. It was one of the most magical moments in my musical career. To sing to a packed stadium, that too our Indian National Anthem, it was surreal.


RRB - You are spotted with an Athor and you proudly carry it. What does that mean to you? Are you trying to convey some message?

Aabha - Generally, while performing Live I do try & carry a bit of Kashmir with me on stage & it reflects in my headgears & outfits that I wear. I wore the Dejhor at the Pro Kabaddi League for the first time while singing the national anthem because it was a platform where I was representing Kashmir. I was indeed proud of adorning it. We usually wear Dejhor for festivals; I see it as a symbol of celebration & festivity. This opportunity was nothing less than a festivity for me & for all of us Kashmiri’s as it was the first time a Kashmiri sang the National Anthem.


RRB – Can you tell me something about your personal life, your family and hobbies etc.?

Aabha - I come from a Kashmiri Pandit family & was born in Srinagar but raised in Jammu. I am blessed to be born to the parents I am born to. I have an elder brother who is my pillar of strength. Both my mother and father have been most supportive & encouraging of me & my brother’s pursuits. They raised us to be independent people with a strong sense of personal identity. My mother, Mrs. Bhawna Kaul, is a trained Hindustani singer but she didn’t pursue music due to health issues. She sees her dreams come true through me. My father Mr. Ashutosh Hanjura, who is a retired government officer (Director Postal Services), has been guiding me. I owe all my knowledge of our culture, heritage & musical treasure to him. He introduced me to Lalded and that’s when I got inspired to compose Lalvakh. He has been more a friend to us than a father. He has been very liberal with both me & my brother as we were growing up. Last year, I got married. I am lucky to have found a life partner in my best friend, Ratish Bhat. He not only supports my music but also helps me with every little thing and has stood by me through thick and thin. It’s not easy to be married to an artist. Our lives are not simple and straightforward. I am a whirlwind of a person. He helps me calm down and keeps me grounded. He is my voice of reason. Besides music, I enjoy writing. I dabble with marketing as a media consultant as I love ideating for brands and I enjoy travelling immensely. I am a true nomad and can’t be in one city for long.

RRB - What are your memories of your childhood, especially, living after the displacement in exile, away from Kashmir?

Aabha - I have memories of visiting Kashmir frequently growing up because my father served there as a government officer for a few years. I have always felt an instant feeling of belongingness each time I’ve set foot on the soil of Kashmir. However, as I spent my growing years in Jammu I am deeply attached to Jammu as well.

RRB - How did you manage to keep Kashmir still inside you while you were so far from it and later the connection showed up in your music?

Aabha:  My father has played an important role in keeping me in touch with my roots. He has studied the history of Kashmir extensively and has educated me about our rich culture & heritage. I got introduced to Lalded, NundRish and other seers & saints of Kashmir through him. Their stories fascinated me and I’ve been hooked since.We have rich musical & poetic heritage and the work of Habba Khatoon and Mehjoor too inspires me. There is a divine vibe to our music which I love and it thus shows up in my sound as well.
Kashmiri Music is extensive and rich in itself but has had a limited exposure in the mainstream. I am giving it a humble little attempt to add my own unique flavour to this music & spread it because it’s truly beautiful. The Sound Of Kashmir is something that I have been including in my music right from my first single to my live performances simply because I love those instruments. They take me to a space that is so melodious and beautiful. I frontend an exclusive Kashmiri Folk Live project tentatively titled as Aabha Hanjura feat - The Kashmiri Folk Ensemble. I am also going to release a lot of exciting new material this year and my love affair with Kashmiri music is a long standing one. With the love & support of people hope it continues further. You can follow my facebook page,www.facebook.com/aabhahanjura for more

RRB - What is the genesis of Sufistication?

Aabha - Sufistication is an attempt to celebrate Sufi & Folk music. The essence of Sufi music is “Celebrating the Love for God”. We try and incorporate Sufi & Folk classic music from many parts of India into our repertoire. We perform Punjabi Folk, Sufi Music, Ghazals, Kashmiri Folk & some familiar folk as part of Sufistication

RRB - Are you a trained singer? This was not a usual choice for a career. I am sure you must have had to face a lot of challenges. How has been the journey like?

Aabha – Yes, I’ve trained in Hindustani Classical with 2 Guru’s Pt Shivkumar Sharma in Jammu & Pt Sripad Gaddi in Bangalore. I am currently training under Neecia Majolly in western pop vocals as that helps me broaden my horizons as a singer. I am forever going to be a student of music!
Well under many different contexts there are challenges of different kinds that you face as an independent artist. One is obviously that unlike mainstream music indie artists have to find their own avenues to get their material out there, especially if you are singing languages that largely people don’t follow, like Kashmiri, Punjabi etc. But I also believe that Music truly is beyond language and if you keep at it consistently you will not only be heard but also celebrated. You’ve just got to be patient and keep working at your craft.


RRB - What is your advice to KP youth who want to make a mark in the field of performing arts?

Aabha - Try and hone your craft as much as possible. People these days are in a rush to do something and end up doing things for the thrill and fame that the art brings. You’ve got to have a long term vision and be prepared to run this marathon for long and be consistent. Art needs dedication, time, effort and most importantly, the soul. You have to be willing to make endless sacrifices. It is ideal to pursue arts for the love of it, more than the money or frills of it. If you dedicate yourself selflessly, art starts to love you back!

RRB - That is so true! Ok. What is your vision for your music (am purposely not saying-your career or future)

Aabha - I believe performing arts can be a tool for social change. It must have a purpose and mine is to be able to celebrate our traditional Indian folk music especially Kashmiri music. I am hoping with time I am able to write songs that inspire a positive change and make people happy. I want to spread smiles and positivity through music & shed a positive light on the conversation of Kashmir. Hope that happens!

RRB - Any thoughts on our return to Kashmir?

I am confident that the day shall come, one day! Meanwhile, we should try to save and preserve our rich culture & heritage in whatever way possible. We must embrace our identity with a sense of pride. We are Kashmiri’s & nobody can take that away from us.

You can follow Aabha on
Official Website: www.aabhahanjura.com
Music on:


Rakesh Roshan Bhat (RRB)

11 comments:

  1. Proud Moment for us Dear :)

    God Bless our Community

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud moment for all KP's. Keep it up. God bless us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud moment for all KP's. Keep it up. God bless us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an amazing journey! Keep the good work going RRB. we need more motivational stories like this one in years to come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great write-up.Proud moment of all KP community!Amazing journey of Aabha Hanjura.She is great singer with wonderful sweet voice.she is now youth Icon..you both make KP community proud. proud.congratulation to your parents too.RRB you are wonderful writer and wonderful human being.God bless you both of you.

      Delete
  5. The Invading Aborigines , takes us by surprise , an act of chivalry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good...proud moment....Keep up n congratuations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspiring story ... Keep growing dear sister ..feel proud of you

    ReplyDelete