Saturday 15 October 2016

Airlift Movie - Dilemma of a Kashmiri Hindu

I didn’t really want to watch Airlift. I was nursing a grudge. The moment I got to know that this biggest rescue operation was conducted in 1990, the same year 7 lakh Kashmiri Hindus were forced to leave Kashmir, I was fuming - why were WE ignored?
But when I heard positive reviews and the fact that it stars Akshay Kumar who had delivered excellent Baby and Holiday, with patriotic themes, I decided to watch it.
It indeed is a very well written and directed movie and grips you from first scene itself. But I kept thinking about our exodus and asking myself could we have been treated in a better way by the Indian Govt then. But then the character of George appeared on the screen and it started shaking me. I started identifying with his cribs. For him whatever his fellow countryman (Ranjit Katyal - Akshay Kumar) was doing, was somehow falling short of his expectations. I thought, I too as a Kashmiri Hindu Refugee, have been doing the same - asking for more! And then the patriotism nerve in the movie reaches it peak when the Tricolor unfurls at the Jordan airport. I got goosebumps all over and burst into tears and sobs as everybody else in the theatre. My tears were tears of gratitude to a fellow Indian Sh Jagmohan ( like Ranjit Katyal ) who ensured our safety at that time.To people of Jammu who accommodated us (well, most of them!).Then to great men like Sh Balasaheb who provided us with the avenues of education and employment. The Govt which provided relief material and other facilities (whatever!). And, to every fellow Indian who helped us in some way or the other. And like how Akshay Kumar says in the end, I would never now ask what my country did for me!
However, the Goerge in me will still live. He will acknowledge all the good that has been done to him till now. But he would still look up to his fellow countrymen with great hope. To help us reverse our exodus and return to our hearths. Help us get justice. Help us get our home back. Help us get our Kashmir back!

Rakesh Roshan Bhat (RRB)

No comments:

Post a Comment